On any given summer day back in the 70’s and 80’s driving down some dusty old back roads of Joshua Texas, one might hear on old transmitter radio playing some great George Jones tunes to the hum of an old tractor and chain saws. Make no mistake the sounds were heard not only through the ears of a young country boy named Don Woods but through the heart as the lyrics spoke to his soul.
It was the days of working his grandpa Hammonds farm listening to that old radio hanging in the tree by that rugged old leather strap that Don developed his love for Country Music from some of the greats such as the George’s (Jones and Strait) along with the stage passion of Garth Brooks. It was the greats that would later inspire Don to stay true to Country Music while living his dream.
Don started his musical journey by singing to tracks in reality talent competitions to get just to the next round and be knocked out by a sweet young teenage girl singing a Swift song. Don didn’t let this stop his passion to deliver a great performance any where he was i.e… The guided tour on the Ryman Stage as his hair stood up he knew he just had to sing what was on his heart and yes you guessed it George Jones Grand Tour!! As he finished even the photographer said did you feel that son the greats were all around you up there. After this historical trip to Nashville Don formed a band and began to perform on stages across East Texas and then invited to bigger venues like Mickey Gilley’s of Dallas and the House of Blues in Dallas Texas. Yes the house of blues you see this proves Don’s theory that music is truly a universal language that speaks to people no matter the era or nationality. Speaking the universal language of music to large audiences was powered by his love of country singers and song writers such as Chris Young, Eric Church, George Strait, and Kenny Chesney all of which he soon added to the list of covers he would use on stage.
Along the way he met many friends and it was through his friends he was introduced to song writer John Windsor. John Windsor invited Don to come to Nashville and opened the next chapter in Don’s musical endeavor. Inspired and supported by a long time friend Larry Wallace they would make the journey to Nashville several times through the Recording of his new Album 90 Proof and filming of his first music video. The trips to Nashville was a dream come true and many memories were made with these two old friends that would later be of much worth to Don, for it was just as the Album release was about to take place and Larry and Don would celebrate with their friends and family that Larry took ill and was gone the next week. As Don took this trip to Nashville to step on the stage and present the album to fans and the music industry he felt as though he had yet another angel looking down with both his grandparents that had influenced and stood by him. He learned that night just how to use his sadness to the good as he sang each song with passion.
This passion can be heard with every performance and every song for Don sings with such power and passion one would wonder just where he gains such insight, but for Don he just takes a look to the sky and knows it is through the almighty and the fans above. After every performance Don says a big thanks to many but his grandfather Hammonds and Memphis recording artists Grandpa Jack Levescy can rest to sure the courage to stand and perform comes from his two greats.
Check out Wayne Michaels on Social Media & check out his ARCHIVES below.
Check out Wayne’s past guest below!
- November 5th, 2015 – Lone Star Country Nights – Studio Sessions with Aubrie Lynn - Wayne had local country singer Aubrie Lynn in the studio for the edition of Studio Sessions! Check her out online here: http://www.aubrielynnmusic.com/ Check out Lone Star Country Nights on Social Media & check ARCHIVES below. (CLICK ICONS) Want to be a guest on Lone Star Country Nights? Have a song request for him? You can contact him […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – Studio Sessions with Undercover - LoneStar Country Nights with Wayne Michaels welcomed a new family group to Studio Sessions on Thursday October 8, 2015. Ryan Claxton, his sister Kelsey Nickel and her husband Ryan Nickel make up Undercover a three piece vocal group. Check out Lone Star Country Nights on Social Media & check ARCHIVES below. (CLICK ICONS) Want to be […]
- May 19th, 2015 – Lone Star Country Nights – David Parsons, Poetry - Poet David Parsons joined Lone Star Country Nights to promote his new book, Reaching for Longer Water, and a new class that he is teaching at Lone Star College Montgomery. He is hosting a creative writing workshop for veterans/family & friends this fall (2015). If you are interested in checking out the class just visit […]
- May 6th, 2015 – Lone Star Country Nights – Lyssa Warren and Band - Lyssa Warren and her band visited the Lone Star studios to play a couple tunes and talk about the upcoming album. You can hear more from Lyssa from checking out her website:www.reverbnation.com/lyssawarren Check out Wayne Michaels on Social Media & check out his ARCHIVES below. Check out Wayne’s past guest below! Want to be a guest […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – Stone Valley Music Festival with Randy Holland - LoneStar Country Nights spoke with Randy Holland of the Stone Valley Texas Music Festival scheduled this summer near Johnson City Texas. Headlining the events will be: Doug Stone – April 11 Johnny Bush – May 9 Hal Ketchum – June 6 Cody Johnson – July 4 Dale Watson – August 22 Mickey Gilley – September […]
- March 2nd, 2015 – Lone Star Country Nights – Warehouse Rock Academy - Phil Ware of the Warehouse Rock Academy joined LoneStar Country Nights on Monday March 2, 2015 to tell us about his rock and roll school for teenagers in Montgomery County. The students “Final Exams” a live rock and roll show for paying fans, the bands ages 6-17 get the opportunity to strut their real rock […]
- February 24th, 2015 – Lone Star Country Nights – Cody Wayne - Cody Wayne of Cody Wayne and Westbound 21 stopped by LoneStar Country Nights on February 24, 2015 to talk about his new single and updated CD debuting on Thursday Februbary 26, 2015. Cody Wayne is an East Texas born and raised singer/songwriter. He was inspired to play the guitar by his roommate in the United […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – Wild Cactus Rose Interview - Wild Cactus Rose stopped by LoneStar Country Nights to debut three new songs off her upcoming album. The artist is beginning her upcoming tour starting in Conroe, Texas. Check out Wayne Michaels on Social Media & check out his ARCHIVES below. Check out Wayne’s past guest below! Want to be a guest on Lone Star Country […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – Conroe Country Cousins Interview - The Conroe Country Cousins Square Dance Club stopped by LoneStar Country Night February 3, 2015 to let the community know about their upcoming performance at the Crighton Theatre April 4, 2015. They will be opening for legendary Urban Cowboy Mickey Gilley and country music artist Stephen Pride during the Stars Over Texas Concert Series. The […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – Kevin Ray Adams Interview - Kevin Ray Adams called LoneStar Country Nights February 3 2015 to commemorate the “Day the Music Died” and the personal connection he has with J.P. Richardson known professional as The Big Bopper. Adams is a country music artist and is married to Richardson’s granddaughter. The family has been campaigning to have The Big Bopper be […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – Cub Scouts Pack 293 Spring Tx - Cub Scouts from Pack 293 in Spring Texas visited LoneStar Country Nights February 5, 2015 to learn about mass communications. Check out Wayne Michaels on Social Media & check out his ARCHIVES below. Check out Wayne’s past guest below! Want to be a guest on Lone Star Country Nights? Have a song request for him? You can […]
- February 12th, 2015 – Lone Star Country Nights – Aubrie Lynn - College Station Texas singer songwriter Aubrie Lynn visited LoneStar Country Nights February 12, 2015 to play some of the new songs off her just released EP Get Lost With You. The 22 year old wrote four of the songs herself and collaborated with Kenny Graves on Carolina Rain. Graves had written the tune before Aubrie […]
- February 17th, 2015 – Lone Star Country Nights – Willis High School Band Director Chris Allen - Willis ISD Band Director Chris Allen visited LoneStar Country Nights February 17, 2015 to bring listeners up to date on the Willis school band programs including the High School Marching Band, the two middle school bands and the Jazz Band. The Willis High School Marching Band will be taking part in the 50th Anniversary Go […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – A J Pyatt - It takes a lot of drive (pun intended) to jump in the car with your best friend and travel from city to city for three weeks selling CD’s out of the trunk and performing anytime you find an audience, but that’s exactly what A J Pyatt recently did. AJ made Conroe his home base for […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – Don Woods - Don Woods On any given summer day back in the 70’s and 80’s driving down some dusty old back roads of Joshua Texas, one might hear on old transmitter radio playing some great George Jones tunes to the hum of an old tractor and chain saws. Make no mistake the sounds were heard not only […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – Caiden’s Hope TELETHON: DEC.4 at 7PM - Caiden’s Hope Foundation took over LoneStar Internet Radio on Thursday, December 4, 2014 raising over $600.00 to support parents with a premature baby hospitalized in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Donating their time and talent were Montgomery County Country and Western artists Madi Dean, Kade Jenkins, Amber Adams, Kenna Danielle, Michael Player and Jarrod […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – Caiden’s Hope TELETHON: DEC.4 at 7PM - Make sure to tune in to Lone Star Internet Radio on Thursday at 7PM this week! LoneStar Country Nights is hosting the first every TELETHON forCaiden’s Hope – Providing Hope in the Midst of Trial. Starting at 7PM, Wayne will be on the air taking PHONE donations (CALL: 936-647-3776) and donations through http://www.caidenshope.org/. Special IN-STUDIO […]
- Lone Star Country Nights – R J Vandygriff - Lone Star Country Nights recently spoke with Cowboy R. J. Vandygriff about the Cowboy Code and his touring cowboy show. R. J. Vandygriff is an award winning singer/songwriter, playwright and actor not to mention a pretty darn good cowboy. He’s at home on a stage, in front of a camera or horseback in the big pasture. […]